Here’s something Paleo man might have loved, if only he’d had the chance. It contains three delicious fermented foods – soured or sprouted bread, cheese, sauerkraut (five, if you include cultured butter and corned beef) – all of which provides an enzyme-rich environment for optimum digestion.
- 2 slices whole grain sourdough or sprouted bread (yeast and additive-free, often found
- frozen in health food stores)
- butter from grass-fed cows, preferably cultured
- thinly sliced meat, like roast beef or corned beef from grass-fed cows, organic chicken, etc.
- raw aged cheese, thinly sliced
- generous dose of raw sauerkraut
- Spread butter on bread and fill with meat, cheese and sauerkraut.
- Sauté the sandwich lightly on both sides in a small amount of butter or extra virgin olive oil until lightly browned and warmed all over.
With thanks to Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon, president of Weston A. Price Foundation.