This recipe requires a sense of adventure! The proportions are not exact, so you’ll want to experiment with various quantities, ingredients and consistencies. However, in our experience, even the “mistakes” tastes good!
- about 3/4 cup raw cacao powder
- about 2/3 cup unrefined coconut oil (melted)
- natural low-glycemic sweetener such as stevia drops or organic coconut crystals;
- small amount raw honey, organic molasses or raw organic cane sugar to taste
- optional add-ins: cinnamon, clove; vanilla, almond or peppermint extract; cayenne
- pepper, almond butter, chopped nuts, figs, ad infinitum!
- Mix cacao, oil and sweetener together in a bowl until smooth and ridiculously delicious-looking.
- This is the basic recipe, but take it to another level by stirring in additional healthy ingredients, like vanilla, almond or peppermint extract, ground cayenne, cloves, cinnamon, minced figs, chopped nuts, orange or lemon zest, shredded coconut, cacao nibs, almond butter, etc. Possibilities are endless! (Dry ingredients can be mixed separately from the liquids. Combine and adjust consistency by adding a little more dry or wet. Thinner gives more delicate, but less well formed pieces; on the thicker side makes for harder, hunkier squares.)
- Place the mixture into a large dinner or soup plate. Spread the “batter” out more or less evenly. Place in the fridge for an hour or so to harden. Crack or cut into edible pieces and eat! That’s it! (This keeps well for weeks in a container in the fridge or freezer, but rarely lasts that long!)