- 1 cup raw hazelnuts (soaked in water 3 hours or so)
- 3 cup pure water, preferably distilled
- 2 cups hazelnut milk
- 3-5 pitted dates (like medjool), soaked in water about an hour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon cloves
- few dashes cayenne pepper (opt.)
- ground nutmeg for garnish
- First, make the nut milk. Pour off soaking water and place hazelnuts in a blender. Add 3 cups water and blend very well. If not using a high-speed blender, like Vitamix, you may have to strain the “milk” with a strainer or nut milk bag.
- Make the toddy just before serving. Pour off date soaking water. Place 2 cups nut milk in a blender, along with dates, cinnamon, cloves, cayenne. Blend until smooth and warm, but not hot. Pour into mugs, sprinkle a little nutmeg on top and serve! Cheers!