- 1/2 pound beets (about 4 medium-sized beets), cooked until tender (steamed, roasted, boiled)
- 2 tablespoons (preferably raw) tahini (sesame butter)
- 5 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 or 2 small cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest (grated organic lemon peel)
- pinch of sea salt
- fresh ground pepper to taste
Place the beets, tahini, lemon juice, garlic, cumin and lemon zest in a food processor. Blend until smooth. Just before serving, grate black pepper on top (be generous!). Serve with crudités as a colorful appetizer or side dish with entrée.
*Thanks to Jill W. at the 4th Street Food Co-op in New York City for this delicious recipe.