One of the most effective and time-efficient relaxation methods is the yoga-derived Relaxing Breath. While you may notice only a subtle effect at first, it gains power the more it is practiced. Make it a point to practice twice a day.
- Sit up comfortably and place the tip of your tongue against the bony ridge near your upper front teeth; you’ll keep your tongue in this position throughout the exercise.
- Exhale with a whoosh through your mouth.
- Now close your mouth and breathe in quietly through your nose to the count of four.
- Hold your breath easily to the count of seven. Then exhale through your mouth with a whoosh to the count of eight.
- You have completed one breath. Repeat the cycle three more times for a total of four breathes.
Do not do more than four breaths at one time for the first month of practice. Over time you can work up to eight breathes.