Your eyes are tremendous energy users, so when fatigue hits, they’re usually the first to suffer. Stress, constant computer use and too much television decrease circulation to the optic nerves, causing eyestrain.
Here’s a quick yoga-based technique for relieving tired eyes:
- Remove glasses or hard contact lenses. Get in a comfortable sitting position.
- Take 3 deep, calming breaths. Relax your shoulders, center your head and unfocus your eyes. Without moving your head, allow eyes to look up toward the ceiling and then down to the floor.
- Continue this up and down motion for 30 seconds in a slow-moving fashion. After completing the exercise, bring your eyes back to center.
- Rub the palms of your hands together. Do this rapidly until they feel warm. Close your eyes. Gently cup your eyes with your palms, without pressing against the eyes. Let your eyes absorb the warmth from your hands and relax in the darkness.
- When complete, open your eyes slowly.